The Hellenic Friedreich’s Ataxia Association is part of the European family EUROATAXIA.
EUROATAXIA is an international non-profit association whose member organizations work together to help people with progressive disorders live a better life.
The European Consortium for Translational Studies (EFACTS) is a study originally funded by the European Commission and will gather vital information on the development of Friedreich’s disorder (FA) that can be passed on to patients to better inform them. their prognosis and the development of their condition. The goal is to create a large FA patient database, along with a comprehensive clinical and physical history database. This will be linked to a repository of biological samples. It also aims to define a set of clinical evaluation tools for use in future trials. There are two EUROATAXIA representatives on the steering committee for this project. It is currently supported by grants from Euro-ataxia member groups and pharmaceutical companies.
- To drive forward research and treatment of the ataxias.
- To encourage the free flow of information between members on the latest research.
- To foster and improve contacts between practitioners interested in the ataxias, and people with ataxia.
- To investigate social, political and cultural matters connected to the welfare of people with ataxia, and promoting and improving the exchange of this information.
- To promote co-operation on an international level between national ataxia organisations.
- To raise awareness of ataxia among clinicians, scientists and society.